Related Posts with Thumbnails

French Onion Soup



Hello! So Im scrambling to try to update all the stuff I never got to! You see, even though I never posted, I still did the baking/cooking, and the photography part too! ( I got a new macro lense...so I just HAD to ;) ) A little while back I made this oh so yummy soup for the family. Oh my goodnessss was it ever heaven. I honestly didnt expect it to taste good....in fact...I had very low expectations. But like I said...OMG.....right now its totallyyyy my fav and go to soup! What I love about it is that its SO Easy to make, yet tastes fabolous!(and as my mom likes to mention...it can be a great way to empty out the fridge ;) )




So without further adu.... heres the recipe:

adapted from here ... ( I dont have the direct link...I just copy and pasted the recipe into my email! - which is below.)

Onion Soup
Adapted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by Julia Child

Ingredients:
3 to 4 cups or 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups or 1 pound yellow onions, thinly sliced (or, of course, leeks)
1/2 bag of baby carrots (or whatever amount you’d like)
2 quarts water
1 Tablespoon salt
4-6 Tablespoons whipping cream
1 Tablespoon softened butter
2-3 Tablespoons minced parsley or chives

Directions:
1. Dump the potatoes, onions, carrots, water and salt into a three- or four-quarter saucepan or a dutch oven. Simmer the mixture, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.

2. After it’s all heated, mash/puree the vegetables in the pot with a fork or a potato masher. I chose to use a stick blender, which was fast and easy. The only thing I’d do differently next time is blend for a little less time; you want there to be small chunks throughout for more flavor. Correct seasoning by adding salt and pepper to taste.

3. Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Pour into a tureen or soup cups and decorate with the herbs.

NOTE:
The following may be simmered with the potatoes and leeks at the start: Sliced or diced turnips; peeled, seeded or chopped tomatoes or strained, canned tomatoes; half-cooked dried beans, peas, or lentils, including their cooking liquid.

The following may be simmered for 10 to 15 minutes with the soup after it has been pureed: Fresh or frozen diced cauliflower, cucumbers, broccoli, Lima beans, peas, string beans, okra or zucchini; shredded lettuce, spinach, sorrel, or cabbage; diced, cooked leftovers of any of the preceding vegetables; tomatoes, peeled, seeded, juiced and diced.


I'm Sure you would agree, that there is honestly nothing better then cuddling up with a nice cup of hot soup and some crackers. Especially during a cold snowstorm, or better yet, when you catch a nasty bug...*as I currently have**

....

This post has made me *seriously* crave some of this soup! I think I'm going to have to go make some now! lol

shanna  – (February 17, 2009 at 12:10 AM)  

Love this soup (Julia Child is awesome), and your photos of it are fantastic. Love macro!

Zahra  – (February 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM)  

Thanks a lot! Yah...after this soup...I am so loving her! lol Im thinkng of ordering a cookbook from her ;)

Post a Comment

Random Fun Stuff

Song of the week: Glee Season 2!!

Watching: Criminal Minds season 6 (man! its mind blowing)

Inspirational Quote:

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself"

Random Foodie Fact:

"The world's first chocolate candy was produced in 1828 by Dutch chocolate-maker Conrad J. Van Houten."

Privacy Policy (c) edible-moments 2010

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP